Monday, March 7, 2011

Self Portraits

Today was self portrait day. It was WAY harder than I thought it would be. And I got tired of looking at my own ugly mug all morning long. This is how the process went:

I found my tripod this morning, but couldn't find the screw to attach my camera to it, so for the first half of the morning, I was propping my camera on the back of the couch. Balance camera, zoom, focus, hit self-timer, re-focus, begin timer, run into frame, pose, click, exit frame, check photo. Repeat.

It's hard because I cannot adjust anything before the photo snaps. I cannot see where I am in the frame, what the lighting is doing, what my body position looks like. Nothing. Basically I am shooting blind. I find snapping photos of others MUCH easier. I can watch them through the viewfinder and position them before I actually snap the photo. With a self-portrait I am pretty much just guessing. About everything.

Enter: Life application.

Sometimes, I think it's true. Sometimes it is easier to capture someone else, rather than yourself. Let me explain.

I do not know about you, but I know that I tend to put others into neat little boxes. I think that I know them. I think that I understand them. And I am always wrong. People have stories, they have reasons that make them who they are. Why is it that I am so aware of my own story, of the fact that I cannot be put into a little bitty box, and yet I continue to overlook that fact in those around me?



I am a self-centered person. I project onto others that which I hate most. Again, I beg the question: Who do I think I am?


Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like you have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks yours
Everything I am for you Kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity
Hosanna


No comments:

Post a Comment