Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Feeding the Fire

Someday, I will actually be able to write about all the things the Lord is doing in my life, in my wordy, all-over-the-place way as usual. That day is not today. Today is another rough update of camp life. I'm not sure if an apology or a "you're welcome," is in order.

> Today was my day off. It was Christmas at camp, so we got to sleep in for an extra hour (only had to wake up at 8 am. Yay!) and my campers brought me breakfast in bed. Then, I drove for an hour and met Kenny in Brevard, NC, where we climbed at Looking Glass for the day. Only downside: I totally chickened out of leading any of the three pitches we climbed today. Slab climbing is not my forte, and the eyebrows totally freaked me out. It's just the truth...On the upside, the climb was really fun and we got some really great pizza afterwards. Success.
> It felt weird to go climbing with Kenny, but then drive back to camp. I felt like I should be driving back to my little house in Nashville. So much so that I called my roommate and told her that I missed her. I get to see her in a little over two weeks!
> Another upside to the day: It felt good to just see someone from back home. And to spend the day with someone who wasn't from camp. It was just a nice change of pace, even if I did spend most of the day talking about camp anyway.
> That band-aid tan on my arm? Roasted. It is the only part of my body (besides my cheeks) that burned today. So now, instead of a square of white on my arm, there is a square of red. Ridiculous.
> There is coffee shop in Black Mountain that everyone goes to called the Drip. It is awesome. Major downfall? It closes at 9:30 every night. Totally lame.
> I realized today that I am actually sad that I won't be around the Beaman this semester. Literally, I am sad about it. I will miss my friends there, my job there, everything. But, spring semester will be here entirely too soon, and then I'll be wishing I could leave the Beaman again, I am sure.
> I spent $1,600 today. That's right. It went to a plane ticket to Madrid, and a train pass for 15 days. Doesn't seem like that's $1,600 worth of goods does it?
> I keep losing things. My phone charger, my car charger for my phone, the USB cord for my camera, my Chacos, my waterbottle... I always find them, but they wander off all the time... What the heck?
>I get my last batch of girls on Sunday. Oh, my, goodness. I have a strange mixture of excitement and dread. Mostly excitement though.
> I will be bringing kayaking into the OP arsenal. Get ready.
> Yesterday was a counselor fail. Me and my co-counselor were supposed to be back in our cabin at 10 pm. We didn't show up until 10:40. Oops. We were even hanging out in the same place, we just didn't even think about the fact that by 10 pm no one would be watching our cabin anymore. Much thanks to the counselors next door for watching the girls for us while we failed at life.
> More days than not, I find myself asking the question, "Lord, what the heck are you doing?" I never get an answer, but for some reason it makes me feel better to ask it. One thing I do know, though, is that it is fantastic.
> The Lord is still teaching me, everyday, about relationships. Every time I think there can't be more for me to learn, there is. Then again, I think relationships are things that you never really figure out all the way.
> Yesterday I got to go on a waterskiing trip. Can I waterski? Nope. Never tried. But did I get to spend the afternoon sitting on a boat, swimming, and looking at the mountains surrounding the lake? Yes. Total success, even if I didn't get to try waterskiing.
> Sometimes I think other people think my life is way more awesome than it really is.
> One of the trends of my life lately has been this: Don't feed the fire. More on this later.
> I love camp. Sometimes I have to remind myself of this when I am exhausted and want life to be about me for a while. Tomorrow, I can totally handle you. Well, me and Jesus can handle you, anyway.

Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment